You are not signed in as a Premium user; you are viewing the free version of this program. Premium users have access to full-length programs with limited commercials and receive a 10% discount in the store! Sign up for only one day for the low cost of $1.99. Click the button below.
VATICAN CITY (ChurchMilitant.com) - Three soldiers have quit and three have been suspended after the Vatican quashed a rebellion of conscientious objectors to coerced abortion-tainted jabs in the ranks of its prestigious Pontifical Swiss Guard.
Swiss Guard spokesman Lt. Urs Breitenmoser told Tribune de Geneve Saturday the resignations had been "voluntary," as Pope Francis faced an embarrassing setback to his vaccine crusade from soldiers who commit to sacrificing their lives to protect the pope.
Breitenmoser confirmed the Vatican had provisionally suspended three other guardsmen from service until they completed their vaccination cycle.
But Vaticanist Edward Pentin revealed at least 30 guardsmen had refused to take the China virus vaccine as recently as July but eventually capitulated after a concerted campaign by the Vatican trying to "indoctrinate and convince" the elite corps to take it.
Dr. Tiziana Sansolini, a physician from the Vatican's health and hygiene directorate led special "seminars" in the Swiss Guard barracks, browbeating the young guardsmen into taking the jab.
Swiss Guard commander Col. Christoph Graf reluctantly received the vaccine only a few days ago after being "threatened," several sources within the corps told Pentin.
A source close to the guardsmen told Church Militant "Graf was threatened earlier in the year at the general audience, saying he would not be allowed to attend it without the vaccine."
Church Militant contacted the Holy See Press Office and Swiss Guard media spokesman Breitenmoser asking for a response to the allegations but received no response as of press time.
In February, the Vatican City State became the first country in the world to issue a decree threatening legally mandatory vaccinations and suggesting that employees could lose their job if they refuse to take the jab.
After a tsunami of negative publicity in the international media, the Vatican issued a damage control document toning down its earlier "no jab, no job" decree, explaining that its legislation should not be viewed as an instrument of "a sanctioning or punitive nature."
However, on Sept. 18, Holy See Secretary of State Cdl. Pietro Parolin signed a decree ordering unvaccinated Vatican employees to be prohibited from entering their workplace.
"For the entire duration of the absence, no pay is due except for Social Security and welfare withholdings, as well as family allowance," the decree stated.
Each department would "establish operating procedures for organizing checks and identifying the persons responsible for ascertaining and challenging violations of obligations," Parolin noted.
On Oct.1, the Vatican enforced its so-called Green Pass, prohibiting unvaccinated persons from entering its sovereign territory in Vatican City as well as its extra-territorial properties located in Rome.
Individuals who are not double vaccinated need to show proof of a PCR or rapid antigen test with negative results in the last 48 hours or possess a medical certificate proving recovery from SARS-CoV-2 in the last six months.
The provisions of the ordinance apply to citizens, residents and personnel employed by the world's smallest country, to members of the Roman Curia and institutions connected to it, as well as to all visitors and users of Vatican services.
The draconian policy on vaccination contravenes the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) 2020 stating "vaccination is not, as a rule, a moral obligation and that, therefore, it must be voluntary."
Resolution 2361 (2021) orders governments to ensure "that citizens are informed that the vaccination is NOT mandatory and that no one is politically, socially or otherwise pressured to get themselves vaccinated if they do not wish to do so themselves."
Last month, a fresh controversy erupted over the admission of women into the ranks of the Swiss Guard.
Current rules restrict applicants to Swiss male citizens who served in the Swiss Army and are Catholic, under 30 years of age and athletic, are least 5 feet 8 inches tall and possess an "unblemished reputation."
Nearly all the 135 guardsmen are single men who live in barracks just inside the Vatican gates. Commanders and married members live in separate apartments.
The Vatican is spending an estimated $60 million to build new barracks that would have 123 single rooms distributed over four different floors. The new barracks would facilitate the recruitment of women if the pontiff gave his permission.
The inauguration of the new barracks is scheduled for May 6, 2027 — the 500th anniversary of the Sack of Rome, when 147 guardsmen lost their lives defending Pope Clement VII.
Pope Julius II created the Swiss Guard in 1506 when 150 Swiss soldiers led by Capt. Kaspar of Silenen in the canton of Uri entered the Vatican for the first time and were blessed by the pontiff.