Free Speech Fracture

News: US News
by Church Militant  •  •  September 26, 2023   

Democrats and the college-progressive ideology

You are not signed in as a Premium user; you are viewing the free version of this program. Premium users have access to full-length programs with limited commercials and receive a 10% discount in the store! Sign up for only one day for the low cost of $1.99. Click the button below.

DETROIT ( - Recent polling reveals nearly half of Democrats believe free speech should be permitted only under certain circumstances. 

This division within the Democratic Party is emblematic of a broader alignment with the ideology of college progressives who view certain speech as a form of violence and hold as acceptable repression of speakers with whom they disagree.

Partisan Divide

On the other side of the aisle, 74% of Republican voters and 61% of independents take a more resolute stance, asserting that speech should be legally protected "under any circumstances."

Democrats, however, are nearly evenly split, with 53% advocating for unrestricted speech, while the remaining 47% advocate for restrictions based on content or circumstances. On a related note, a significant bloc of Democratic voters, 34%, believe that Americans possess "too much freedom." This is in stark contrast to the scant 14.6% of Republicans who share the sentiment.

Notably, 46% of Republicans believe that Americans have too little freedom, compared to just 22% of Democrats. Independents fall in between on both fronts.


Some Reactions

Megyn Kelly highlighted the concerning trend, stating, "This is what we're up against." And Glenn Greenwald noted in a tweet, "Poll after poll shows that significant majorities of Democrats — or US liberals — strongly favor both corporate control and state control of political speech online, both in the name of stopping hate speech and disinformation, which [the] FBI and DHS will benevolently decide."

These responses underscore the importance of this issue, as the survey reveals that a substantial portion of Democrats are supportive of curbing freedom of speech, a position that contrasts starkly with the views of Republicans and independents.

--- Campaign 31538 ---


Have a news tip? Submit news to our tip line.

We rely on you to support our news reporting. Please donate today.
By commenting on you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our comment posting guidelines

Loading Comments