I am always impressed by the naïveté of millennials in their bland (and blind) acceptance of socialism as the natural replacement of capitalism in America.
They refuse to see the undeniable reality: Wherever socialism has been implemented, it has systematically resulted in either poverty for all (except for the people in government) or the stripping of liberty and natural rights for all, or both. That is the natural result of the collective ownership of the means of production and distribution.
Credulous millennials simply never ask themselves why socialism has always failed. From Soviet Russia to Nazi Germany, from African countries to Cuba and Venezuela, the sad story is the always the same. The people in the streets are the ones who suffer as their so-called leaders attempt to produce the impossible. The only thing socialists are successful at is taking away people's freedoms.
So, the likes of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) and Bernie Sanders (BS) want to offer lots of free stuff to the people, which undoubtedly will get them to vote for the Democrats. But who pays for that free stuff offered to the people in socialism? No amount of taxation on the "top 1%" would suffice to provide everything that AOC and BS promise to their supporters.
Karl Marx, the father of communism, called for the abolition of private property and state ownership of the means of production. He labeled it "scientific socialism." One short phrase sums up the entirety of the ideology he created: "The abolition of private property."
Socialism is an ill-disguised form of slavery. What distinguishes a slave from a free man is the latter's ability to own property. To deprive the worker of his salary, of the right to obtain property for himself and his family, to make him work only for the State — that's the goal of socialism, and it's basically slavery reimagined.
But AOC and BS know how to do it "democratically" — or so they say.
All they have to do is to abolish certain aspects of the American way, such as the Founding Fathers' words: "We the people … hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
So, as a constitutional republic, America holds the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as "self-evident." In other words, these rights do not need to be proven since any person can see it. Yet many trendy, gullible, socialist millennials still refuse to see.
The pursuit of happiness is what leads men to work to obtain property for themselves and their families. To abolish this right is to reduce him to slavery.
The "democratic socialism" doesn't really make it any better. After securing 51% of votes (presuming elections aren't being rigged), the majority may, at their will, rob the other 49% of the population of their basic rights to life, property and freedom. The majority control the rights of minorities, like might makes right— the law of the jungle.
In a constitutional republic, rights are natural, given by the Creator and unalienable. But under a socialist democracy (or "democratic socialism"), the majority decides about the rights of all.
Indeed, socialism — whose endgame is communism — is one of the deadliest ideologies the world has ever known. One thing is to give a person a hand up to help him progress; another is to give him a handout by taking from someone else.
These are considerations taken from pure reason and reality. If we look at the Ten Commandments, the seventh (Thou shalt not steal) and the tenth (Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors' goods) are a clear manifestation of the natural and divine law; the neighbor has the right to own his property. To take it from him is theft and an injustice.
--- Campaign 31877 ---