Prayerful Procession to Dodger Stadium — Click Here for More Info
You are not signed in as a Premium user; you are viewing the free version of this program. Premium users have access to full-length programs with limited commercials and receive a 10% discount in the store! Sign up for only one day for the low cost of $1.99. Click the button below.
DETROIT (ChurchMilitant.com) - Joe Biden's victories in Tuesday's Democratic primaries delivered him a delegate lead that will be nearly impossible for rival Bernie Sanders to overcome.
The delegate totals are still being finalized, but it's already clear that Biden easily won all three states that went ahead with elections: Florida, Illinois and Arizona.
Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland and Ohio have postponed their presidential primary elections.
Even though there are primaries or caucuses scheduled into June, most of the delegates — 58% — have already been allotted, due to the frontloaded calendar, leaving only 42% of delegates remaining in future contests.
Though Biden is still a ways off from outright securing a pledged delegate majority — he needs 1,991 to do that, and will probably end up with around 1,200 once delegate totals are finalized. Democrats' proportional allocation rules will make it difficult for him to lose his lead.
Despite the momentum of Biden's bid, many are asking if his record on abortion — a pre-eminent issue not only among a majority of U.S. Catholic bishops (one-third do NOT believe it is the pre-eminent issue) but also among voters this election — will come back to haunt him.
Catholic teaching is unequivocal about abortion. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church,
Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person — among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you.
My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth. (CCC 2270)
Biden's record on abortion is rated 0% by the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) indicating the highest pro-abortion rating. His record includes
Biden and other prominent Catholics politicians including Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State John Kerry have rationalized their wildly radical abortion positions by adopting an "I accept Church rule personally, but not in public life" perch.
These pro-abortion "Catholics" can trace their bifurcated positions back to the "liberal lion" of the Senate, Sen. Ted Kennedy.
Kennedy wasn't always an abortion extremist. He started out in line with his Catholic faith, stating in 1971:
While the deep concern of a woman bearing an unwanted child merits consideration and sympathy, it is my personal feeling that the legalization of abortion on demand is not in accordance with the value which our civilization places on human life. Wanted or unwanted, I believe that human life, even at its earliest stages, has certain rights which must be recognized — the right to be born, the right to love, the right to grow old ... Once life has begun, no matter at what stage of growth, it is my belief that termination should not be decided merely by desire.
But in a few years he opposed Supreme Court nominees who opposed abortion and went to great lengths to slander good men like Judge Robert Bork in order to keep them off the bench and to condemn pro-life judges as "dangerous misogynist bigots."
Allegedly a concerted effort on the part of a group of dissenting Catholic theologians including Jesuits Fr. Richard McCormick, Fr. Josef Fuchs, Fr. Robert Drinan and Fr. John Courtney Murray, who spent a good deal of time with the Kennedys in the mid-1960s, manipulated Catholic teaching and used fake moral theology to convince them they could "accept and promote abortion with a clear conscience."
This came as welcome — and easy — news to many politicians just as the Democrats became aware that the abortion lobby and industry was willing to drop a lot of cash behind candidates who would serve their interests — and just as the Vatican II-era saw Catholic priests and bishops watering down the faithful teaching of the Church to the point of failing to condemn pro-abortion politicians.
The theologians' strategy worked so well at the Kennedy compound on Cape Cod that today it is virtually impossible to find a pro-life Democrat in public office — and easy to find faux Catholics among the Democrat vanguard, most notably Joe Biden, whom U.S. bishops ever rarely oppose.
Have a news tip? Submit news to our tip line.